Disclaimer: I have not been paid to write this post.
“I got up one Christmas morning and we didn’t have nothing to eat. We didn’t have an apple, we didn’t have an orange, we didn’t have a cake, we didn’t have nothing.” Muddy Waters. Now ain’t that the saddest thing you ever did read? Poor Mister Waters, how in heaven he’d be in my kitchen at the moment. Those generous folk at ClemenGold surprised me yesterday, with 16 kilograms of their glorious fruit.
Suffice to say I am in my element, experimenting like mad with cooking and preserving using these gems. (I have to keep a beady eye on Charlotte, who loves them as much as I do!)
I’m also keeping my eye on the progress of the ClemenGold liqueur I started last month, it should be ready for tasting next Tuesday when I see my beloved friend Tandy again.
I made some of Tandy’s candied ClemenGolds and was very pleased to discover that they can be pressed into shapes before they harden.
They’re great for garnishing cakes, I made this one (found at cafefernando.com) and it was gobbled up in 15 minutes, my MIL has pronounced it her favourite cake ever:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1+1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp zest of 2 ClemenGolds
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup juice of 2 ClemenGolds
(Can you imagine how hard it was to resist drinking this?)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and flour one 12 x 4 inch loaf pan. (I used a springform tin.)
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and ClemenGold zest and rub together to extract the fragrant oil from the zest.
- Add olive oil and mix on high speed until completely combined (preferably with the whisk attachment).
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix on slow speed.
- Add half of the ClemenGold juice and continue mixing.
- Add another 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by the rest of the ClemenGold juice and the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined between each addition.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, wait 10 minutes for it to cool down and then remove from the pan.
- Garnish with candied ClemenGold.
I’m off to make a ClemenGold and prawn salad now, I just may be a dress size larger when you see me next …