Two birds with one stone; another recipe for Tandy’s book using a McCain’s frozen veg and a vegetarian supper dish for my BFF, who is trying not to eat meat at night in the hope that this will banish the bad dreams she’s been having of late.
Yesterday’s McCain product was creamed spinach and I was in the mood for making puff pastry; I thought Eggs Florentine in a pie was a good idea. (My foodie friend Marisa tells me that a variation of this is ‘Pascualina’; a popular Uruguayan meal) I found the defrosted spinach contained 50% water, which was a big disappointment. I shot off to the greengrocer and got another bunch to steam.
1 roll puff pastry
(The busy mum for whom Tandy’s book will be written will use a roll of store-bought pastry.)
4 cups spinach, steamed and all water pressed out
4 lightly poached eggs
Mix and pour over the above:
1 tablespoon hot English mustard
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper
Bake at 180C for 35 minutes.
A big success, this dish, could be a fabulous kiddies supper for Tandy’s book; with a bit of bacon or a sausage on the side.
Like Tandy, I can’t resist a quiz, so here is one I found on her blog:
- What is your favourite comfort food (the dish you turn to after a really bad day)?
Hard to say, I usually lose my appetite when I have the blues. I’d probably pour a glass of wine and make lasagne.
- What would be the contents of your perfect picnic basket, and where would you have the picnic?
Salmon, avocado and cream cheese-filled ciabatta rolls, a chilled dry champagne; on the deck of a shack at Smitswinkelbaai.
- What is your favourite summer fruit?
- What would be your ultimate foodie holiday destination?
Sorry to be so predictable, but I will always choose Provence.
- What is your favourite restaurant?
In Johannesburg it is a toss-up between Wombles in Parkhurst and Casalinga in Honeydew. In Cape Town it is Catharina’s at Steenberg, Constantia and Cape To Cuba in Kalk Bay.
- Name your ultimate sunny day “super quaffer” wine or drink.
Moet Brut Rose or First Sighting Sauvignon Blanc.
- What is your favourite cheese?
Blue Rock from Fairview.
- Foie Gras – delicious delicacy or animal cruelty?
I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself …
- Is risotto too much of a mission to make, or worth every minute spent stirring?
It’s worth it, a nice show on the radio helps to pass the time.
- Who is your favourite celebrity chef?
Anthony Bourdain really floats my boat.