Two hundred? In years it becomes two centuries, perhaps that’s fitting; I feel I could be that age, the sum of the days in which I have learned things. But learned implies constant intentions/attention and I have not actively pursued what I know; most of it has been absorption, osmosis.
I am two hundred years, or two hundred words; or why not say that I am two hundred minutes; three and a-half hours in the grand, ticking clock of time, less than a split second of history? I make no difference; suffice to say I am alone in the opinion of my sublime importance.
All that I know to be true is the message my hand can read when I touch things I understand, nerve endings reassure me; there is the muscled back of a spouse, here the peachy cheek of my child. My surroundings define me, but I am transient; significant only inside this small capsule of experience.
Tomorrow I may become three hundred somethings and who knows that anything will remain to bear testimony to my existence; save bones and a carbon footprint. Yes, I am two hundred-strong DNA. With an elusive and mysterious twist, a Cyclops-like inner eye that has seen life from a uniquely Cindy point of view, an expedition taken in a sequence of different shoes. The crochet baby shoe became the Bata school trainer; the wedding pump danced into a journey shared and the corporate high-heels retired into the guilty pleasure of comfortable shoes that linger in the library.
Out of the blue
on an ordinary morning
a black dog walked into my room
and lay down beside me
panting out a foul fog
of grim foreboding.
He gnaws on a bone of contention,
baying his lament of pending doom.
Why does he hound me,
when will he leave?
I will not indulge his brutal appetite,
he is uninvited.
©Cindy Taylor 2008
This is a composite / edit of some previously published posts.
Black dog may refer to: (wiki)
- Black Dog (village),a small rural village in mid Devon
- Black dog (ghost), a ghostly dog in British folklore
- Black Dog (film), a 1998 film
- “Black Dog” (song), a song by Led Zeppelin from Led Zeppelin IV
- The Black Dog, a restaurant on the island of Martha’s Vineyard
- BlackDog, a mobilizing device, a fully self-contained computer
- Black Dog Productions, a British electronica group
- Black Dog Publishing, a UK publisher
- Black Dog Game Studio, an imprint of White Wolf Game Studio
- Black Dogs, a 1992 novel by Ian McEwan
- Black Dog, a minor character in Robert Louis Stevenson’s novel Treasure Island
- Black Dog, the nickname of the Cowboy Bebop character Jet Black
- Black dog, Winston Churchill‘s name for his experience of major depressive disorder and also Australian slang for it
- Black Dog Institute, an educational, research and clinical facility offering specialist expertise in mood disorders
- Black Dog Halt railway station